On July 15, the Government of India launched most affordable kit COROSURE, developed by Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi. This is commercially low cost COVID-19 test kit. IIT Delhi is the first educational institution who developed COVID-19 testing kit
The company has said that it will manufacture two million kits by next month.
Have you known the facts about COROSURE? If not then scroll below
Here are 10 things you need to know about Corosure.
- Corosure is first low cost Made-in-India test kit.
- According to the officials of IIT- Delhi the base price of diagnostic kit is Rs 399.
- The test kit was developed by PhD scholars, post-doctoral fellows, and professors of IIT Delhi’s Kusuma School of Biological Sciences.
- Corosure was launched by Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank, the HRD Minister and this will now be available at authorized testing labsfor use and and this innovative development is a step towards Prime Minister Modi’s ‘self-reliant India’.
- COROSURE has received ICMR approval with highest score and DCGI approved with very high sensitivity and specificity.
Do you think that CORASURE will help in breaking the chain of COVID 19 in the area?
6. Even after adding the RNA isolation and laboratory charges, the cost of the kit is likely to go up to INR 650, which is still cheaper compared to the currently available kits in the market.
7. New Tech Medical Devices, a Delhi-based manufacturing company, obtained the license to manufacture it commercially from IIT-Delhi, and has also received approval from both Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and Drug Controller General of India (DGCI).
8. According to the team at IIT Delhi, the current testing methods available are “probe-based”, while the one developed by them is a “probe-free” method, which reduces the testing cost without compromising on accuracy.
9.The Corosure kit can deliver results within 3 hours.
- IIT Delhi, which became the first academic institute to get ICMR nod for a Covid-19 testing method, gave non-exclusive open licence to 10 companies for commercialising the test, but with a price rider of R 500 for the assay needed for testing.
Could you share your view on COROSURE: The Testing Kit with us?
The director of IIT Delhi V Ramgopal Rao informed that the institute is also working on another testing kit in collaboration with the National Chemical Laboratory (NCL) Pune for easy use by individuals at home for quick results other than COROSURE.
According to the data of the Union Health Ministry, the nation has witnessed a single-day huge jump of forty thousand four hundred twenty five which directly increased the tally to eleven lakhs eighteen thousand forty three yesterday. With this, the death tally hoped to twenty seven thousand four hundred ninety seven cases with 681 new fatalities. The country now shelters nearly around 4 lakh active cases with a recovery tally of more than 7 lakh. Recovery rate of India is around 63% which is quite good.
COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.
Most common symptoms:
- dry cough
Less common symptoms:
- aches and pains
- sore throat
- loss of taste or smell
- a rash on skin, or discolouration of fingers or toes
Protect yourself and others around you by knowing the facts and taking appropriate precautions. Follow advice provided by your local health authority.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Clean your hands often. Use soap and water, or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Maintain a safe distance from anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Wear a mask when physical distancing is not possible.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Cover your nose and mouth with your bent elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention.